Homemade Cake Donuts - Tess Pennington - The Preppers Cookbook
1 Cup of granulated sugar
4 teasppons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
3 cups all-purpose flour
vegetable oil for frying
2 to 3 tablespoons granulated or powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a large blow, stir together the sugar, baking powder, salt and allspice
2. Stir in the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Add the flour 1 cup at a time, bating until blended. The dough should be soft and sticky but firm enough to handle. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
3. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator. Begin heating about 1 inch of oil to 360 F in a large skillet
4. Working on a floured surface with half dough at a time, roll to about 1/2 in thickness. Cut circles using the floured top of a glass. Use your thumb to make a hole in the center of each circle.
5. Gently drop the doughnuts in batches into the hot oil. Flip them over as they puff; turn a couple more times as they cook, about 2 to 3 minutes total or until golden. Remove from teh oil and place on paper towels to drain.
6. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a paper bag. Carefully shake the warm donuts in the bag, one at a time to cover with the sugar mixture.
Enjoy the Recipe
Bravo Echo Out